I should've known better than to do it.
He wore bandages like badges of honor and flashed a pretty smile. He said he knew that something was going on with me, that I was going places, and he sat in the same spot that Miss Informant had just a couple of days ago.
My savior, I thought. Finally, here's someone who wants to spend time with me. He said that he had powers too, but that we wouldn't talk about it here. "Come on," he said, "my bike's parked right outside."
So I went.
Or, I thought I was going. We'd barely made it to the door when a woman in dark clothes and sunglasses burst in. She looked like she'd stumbled out of costume trailer for The Matrix -- but this wasn't a game. The moment Mystery and Matrix laid eyes on each other, I could feel that there was trouble. Everything in me told me to run. She demanded to know what he was doing here, on her turf, and causing trouble. She never wanted to see him again after what had happened last time. What happened? Is he a hero scorned? Was I just about to fall into a trap? Or was this so personal?
I never got to find out because Mystery laid one blow on Matrix and I took off.
Yeah, that's right, reader. I took off. What kind of a hero am I? All my life I've been waiting for some kind of purpose to what I can do, I've been maturing in my power and my mind... and when the time comes to pick up another piece of this insane puzzle, I just bail like a nobody.
I don't think I'm going to practice today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment